About Smartsheet as a Project Management Tool
At some point, you must have worked on a project and will continue overseeing many others. The projects can range from complex organizational projects funded by a board of management to simple things that you would like to complete at a personal level. As you do so, the project management tools that you use play a central role in your success. Software like Smartsheet stands out as a reliable solution for managing most of your projects. It can assist individuals and teams in planning, managing, and executing work seamlessly.
The software handles all kinds of project sizes, providing a real-time view of tasks across the whole project. That explains the rapid adoption of Smartsheet by companies and individuals across the world.
- Shared sheets – Smartsheet allows for managing and sharing any type of work. It also allows for inviting an unlimited number of users who can view and edit sheets. These users can also publish the sheets on the web.
- Send sheets – Send sheets to others as Excel or PDF attachments. You may also schedule these to send at a certain frequency.
- Upload files – You can upload files to different locations, including the workspace, sheet, or row.
- View history changes – Retrieve information of all the changes performed on a cell and who conducted them.
- Advanced reports – Generate reports that reveal vital details of your project, including timings and important dates ahead.
- Highlight changes – Check changes made over a certain timeframe, like an hour, day, or week.
- Set permission levels – Control who sees what and the updates they can make across the workspace, sheets, and rows.
- Shared workspaces – Collaborate with the entire team internally in a secure environment. You can set up sheets and folders for others in the workspace.
- Alerts and reminders – Ensure you remain on top of issues with daily notifications and reminders.
- Simple to learn – Smartsheet has a simple learning curve such that anyone can get started with it within a short timeframe. It is an easy tool to use, more so if you are well-versed in Microsoft Excel.
- Clean design – The tool has a very clean and professional design that makes it easy to use. A professional appearance means less distraction from work.
- More than just project management – As you pick on Smartsheet as a project management tool, you may end up getting more than what you expected. It can also help with measuring industry trends, file sharing, and functions as an office productivity solution.
- High prices – Even though you get a 30-day free trial with Smartsheet, you will start paying after the first month. The packages are priced differently, with the individual option going for $14 per month while the business plan costs $25 per user per month. The plans may feel quite on the high end when evaluating Microsoft project vs Smartsheet.
- Does not have time tracking – Smartsheet lacks its own time-tracking solution, even though you can use third-party options for this. Most organizations and individuals require this feature if they are to succeed.
The cloud-based project management solution works best for small businesses and individuals. Users get tools that power task management, collaboration among team members, scheduling meetings, and much more.
- Tasks management
- Projects management
- Search Filters
- Reminder notifications
- Assists with plotting and managing projects easily
- Efficient task tracking
- Real-time monitoring of projects progress
- Powers team communication via chat features
- Shares specific task progress via graphs to see areas of improvement
- Takes longer to attach large files
- The app does not have advanced reporting
- Does not work best for a team of more than 50 members
- Support may take longer to come by
One of the best free alternatives to Smartsheet for managing simple projects. It includes project automation and integrations, making it a viable choice when you want to save on costs.
- Views for enhanced collaboration
- Customizable and interactive cards
- Power-ups for additional functionality
- Color-coded labels for ease of task identification
- Checklist to assist with task organization
- Super easy-to-understand interface
- The free account has some internal automation
- Available third-party customizations
- Accessible on mobile iOS and Android
- Numerous keyboard shortcuts to make work easy
- Cannot work on complex projects
- Lacks native reporting features
- Gets cumbersome with projects growth
- User permissions still causing issues
Jira focuses on helping teams plan, assign, and manage work while at the same time delivering agile software development ability. It can be used both by startups and enterprises to deliver customer support.
- Supports third-party integration
- Has highly customizable dashboards
- Works for small and large projects
- A powerful mobile app that gives real-time progress of projects
- Advanced features require paid plan
- Needs an expert to set up and configure
- Team collaboration is slightly limited
A Smartsheet alternative Google search reveals several solutions, including Basecamp. The online-based tool provides collaboration features for SMEs. It comprises a diverse toolset to help with effective project management.
- Search Filters
- Hill charts
- Group chat rooms
- Advanced reports
- To-do lists
- Documents management
- Messages board
- User-friendly design
- Has drag and drop option for uploading files
- Easily create the to-do list
- Portal for clients’ access
- Difficulty managing recurring tasks
- Lacks time-tracking with activities
- Does not support project budgeting
ClickUp is a cloud-based project management and collaboration software that works for organizations of all sizes and industries. It includes collaboration and communication tools, alerts, statuses, task toolbar, and task assignments.
- Task management
- Recurring checklists
- Mind Maps
- Custom statuses
- Drag and drop
- ClickUp Docs
- It has dependencies for organizing tasks in the right order
- A fun, user-friendly interface that makes project management simple
- Visualization of team activities via detailed reports
- Powerful dashboards that foster work management
- Integratable with several applications
- Docs lack tags
- Labeling is limited
- Does not have the functionality to export dashboards
A Smartsheet alternative Reddit search shows Wrike as one of the powerful options to consider. The enterprise-level tool enjoys a massive following across the world.
- Three-pane view
- Forms and requests
- Task tool
- Tags and folders
- Data Analytics
- Knowledgeable and readily-available customer support
- Numerous integrations with social networking apps and file sharing
- Has time-tracking ability
- Steep learning curve due to the complex user interface
- Lack of comments assigned to team members
- Limited functionality in the mobile app
Smartsheet vs. PPM Express
Smartsheet and PPM Express integration takes project and portfolio management to the next level. Such integration empowers teams to work jointly towards a common goal on a collaborative, flexible platform.
It allows you to concentrate on what matters the most as you connect the dots between strategy and execution. Make the most of automated reporting and data analysis to enhance dynamic decision-making.
Whereas Smartsheet helps you manage your projects seamlessly, you can make the most of it by integrating with PPM Express. Smartsheet competitor analysis reveals other vital alternatives, both paid and free. These options may also work for you depending on the nature of the business, industry, and project.